Highnote is looking for a skilled product designer with an affinity for aesthetics, interaction, and scalability. You’ll play a critical role as our first designer, joining an experienced team of four in creating a truly unique communication tool for audio creators and their teams. The ideal candidate will have all the chops of a well rounded product designer: a perspective of the entire user journey, a strong grasp on business goals, meticulous user flows, mockups, wireframes, etc, but will top it all off with a knack for delightful visual design, motion and micro-interaction.
- You’ll earn between $125,000 - 150,000/yr (doe) base cash comp and ~1% equity
- You’ll be the 1st product designer on a seed stage team of 5 (Jordan Bradley, Chris Muccioli, Paulina Vo, and Christine Cha)
- You’ll report to Jordan Bradley
- You’ll receive full benefits on a remote team embracing the future of work
Highnote is building the simplest and most effective way for audio creators — musicians, podcasters, voiceover artists — and their teams to collaboratively make comments, exchange ideas, and collect listener feedback on their audio. We’re venture-backed by the same investors behind productivity tools like Airtable and Superhuman.
Check us out here →
Our Benefits and More
Remote first, 4-day workweek, full health benefits, unlimited PTO (for real), and more.
Learn more about working at Highnote →
- You have a portfolio, website, and/or social media page that demonstrates your experience leading design projects from start to finish, highlights your design strengths as aligned to the role description below, and provides additional context about you, your projects, interests, and unique perspective as a creative professional
User Interface + Interaction Design
- You’ve mastered the formal elements of traditional visual design including shape, line, hierarchy, color, contrast, depth, grids, and typography
- You’re highly skilled in the art of designing tasteful and effective animations, transitions, and visual embellishments for screen-based user interfaces, and can prototype these visual ideas with Figma in addition to motion design and/or animation tools
- You’re deeply familiar with component based design and modern component libraries.
- You have experience contributing to a design system or creating one from the ground up.
- You have equal experience using well established off-the-shelf patterns from existing products as well as conceiving of your own original, bespoke patterns in order to address a unique user need
- You have experience talking directly with users to test designs with them and better understand their needs
- You’re skilled in the art of drawing similarities between closely related user needs and addressing them with a single holistic design solution
Working with Engineering
- You’re highly proficient in creating design artifacts (mocks, prototypes, specs, etc) that are accessible and easily consumable by engineers. As a seasoned designer, you’ve developed your own unique perspective on how to work best with engineers.
Working with Business and Product
- As an experienced designer, you can effectively manage your time alongside stakeholder expectations throughout the design process. You have experience utilizing a prioritization framework and other project management methods in order to organize design projects and make progress against them efficiently
- As a designer with experience working on products that evolve quickly, you have a knack for anticipating future business and user needs and addressing them with flexible and forward-thinking designs
Teamwork and Communication
- As an experienced designer, you’ve honed an outstanding capacity for sensitivity, empathy, and calm through articulate verbal and written communication. When others loose their cool or grow frustrated, you keep your composure and effectively re-align the conversation. Even better: teammates prefer your communication style and enjoy sharing ideas with you
- You know how to engage design and non-design stakeholders in ways that help them help you
- You’ve mastered the art of delivering formal and informal presentations to share ideas with others. You can pitch your ideas in ways that align and excite both design and non-design stakeholders
Here are some examples of projects you might take on at Highnote:
- Partner with Jordan, our CEO and head of product, to translate high level business strategies into new and exciting product experiences
- Own critical user experiences like Notifications, Commenting, and more, while also imagining entirely new ways for users to communicate their ideas when discussing an audio file
- Design a file management and sharing experience that helps audio creators and non-audio creators alike intuitively share their audio files with collaborators
- Develop and maintain our design system, inclusive of atomic elements like buttons and typography in addition to overarching patterns like navigation, interaction guidelines, and more
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying